The Cathedral Organ began its life in Chester Cathedral, England. There is a long-held
tradition that it was played by G. F. Handel when on his way to Dublin for the first
public performance of the Messiah.
The organ was rebuilt in Malta in 1854 and several times again since. It retains
the original 17th century case by “Father” Bernard Smith, one of the great organ
builders in post-Reformation England, and one of the last of its period to have survived.
Over time, the electro-mechanical parts of the organ made in 1949 deteriorated to
the extent that, if the organ were not restored, it would have fallen silent forever.
BUILDING THE FUTURE
St Paul’s is renowned for church music and other musical performances. Many eminent
musicians, choirs and orchestras have visited over the years.
The St Paul Choral Society rehearses and sings here, and the Cathedral is the home
of the Melita Music, Culture and Heritage Foundation: a registered charity dedicated
to musical education, promotion and performance.
The rebuilt organ will be used in worship and also to provide new opportunities for
cultural events, involving residents as well as visitors from all over the world,
especially the UK and Europe. It will also support the development of young musicians,